Panda Security, a leader in cybersecurity, has revealed the results of a study on Europeans’ perception of cybersecurity. The survey, carried out by IO Investigación, interviewed more than 4,000 people in Italy, France, Germany, and Spain.
The study reveals that domotics and artificial intelligence (AI) are increasingly widespread technologies in Europe, even though users still express many concerns related to privacy and security.
How do Europeans use domotics?
Some 38 percent of respondents claim to have voice-based assistants such as Alexa or Siri. Of these, 92 percent use them to operate home devices, such as switching on lights or opening doors. Other common applications include listening to music, getting information, or making phone calls.
Nevertheless, Europeans are still concerned about the privacy of their data when using such home automation devices, according to the survey. Over half of respondents (55%) believe that these systems do not respect their privacy.
Such concerns stem from several factors, such as a lack of transparency from companies about how data is collected and used, or a fear that data will be used for malicious purposes, such as identity theft or blackmail.
To help users protect their privacy and security when using home automation devices, Panda Security offers the following advice:
- Check security settings and read the privacy policies of the services you decide to use.
- Protect your Wi-Fi network with an advanced security protocol, a strong password, and disable broadcasting of network names.
- Update devices regularly to make sure security patches are applied, especially firmware.
- Use strong passwords and 2-factor authentication.
- Monitor the activity on your devices.
- Keep yourself up-to-date about any new vulnerabilities in IoT systems.
- Only download apps and plugins from official and trusted sources.
The Panda Security survey underscores the great potential of domotics and AI, yet it is important to implement adequate measures to protect the privacy and security of users. By following Panda Security’s advice, users can use these technologies safely and benefit from all the advantages they offer.